Saturday, March 12, 2011

... crazy crafters....again..

We really are a crazy bunch, us/we(?) crafters.  We save the darndest things. "In case need them" .. or  we think, .. "hey, I can use that", and we stash it in our ever growing little (and sometimes not-so-little) container or containerssss (very plural)  of bits and bobs.

Here is my latest.  Look at the beautiful satiny ribbons I've been finding on even the cheapest of t-shirts I've bought in the past few weeks.  Extra little straps for hanging them so they don't slip off hangers I guess...... when the heck did they start doing that for $9 t-shirts?   I haven't bought any for a few years........maybe it is not that new to everybody else.














Menswear has always been so nicely finished with edges encased and nowadays with the insides of collars even having velvet ribbon.  I love looking at mens clothing and marvelling.  And...the past few reeeelly cheap little articles I've purchased.... look at this!  Instead of just zigazg crap finishing ..... ribbon!
On my 2/$20 t-shirts for heaven's sake.  I was very surprised, to say the least.















And.....look how much of that ribbon for hanging there actually is....















Fully fourteen inches on each side .....















I can use it for a multitude of things...trim..bows... collars.... attachments.  Cute little bows .. and how many.... now I'm thinking these t-shirts are an even better bargain.  For $10 I also get 28 inches of 1/8 inch satiny ribbon.  Such a deal!  I've now got some black, pink, yellow and turquoise...... I think I need to begin another bits and bobs box.  Wonder if Rubbermaid has some on sale.

11 comments:

Mary Ann Tate said...

I can't believe you got all that ribbon on a T-shirt. Hmmm...I must talk to my DIL and ask if she has any ribbon on her T-shirts that she can cut off and give me. Very good idea that:)

Judi W. said...

lol - I hate those ribbons but haven't cut them off yet .. this might just inspire me to :)

Unknown said...

I always cut those ribbons off and I keep them to pass on to any crafters I know. I used to be able to use them for tying pigtails in my grand daughters hair. They come in some very pretty colours too. I think they are put there for the stores to be able to hang them up for display, if need be. I fold all mine and place them in a drawer. Maa.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Funny we don't get T-shirts with ribbons over here. At least the ones I purchase don't have them. Perhaps they have them in the expensive ones. But they do these ribbons on Cardigans and Jumpers or frocks etc. I do need to hang these so I need them on. I get plenty when I go to India very cheap so I don't bother with them. However I do collect ribbons from giftwraps. They are so gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, you're not alone - i keep all those little bits of ribbon as well - they are very useful!!

Abi said...

Mmmm, what is hanging in my closet (or on the floor!)
I have many a time cut up a garment because no other fabric will work... now I'm going to be taking ribbons off everything! LOL
Thanks! I think?!!

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Odd. I never thought of using them before for anything but their intended use or to fill the garbage. Now you've put the idea in my head I won't be able to throw them away;-) They would be expensive to purchase on their own I'm sure.

Susan said...

What a good haul!
Just shows to go, never know where you'll find crafty stuff :D)

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Vee,

I have noticed that too - even on a bra the other day it had ribbon attaching the price tag.
Yes, I always keep things like that too and they do come in handy.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Leah said...

I am sitting here giggling to myself...I always get on my daughters case about the ever growing collection of odds and ends she has shoved into every drawer, closet shelf, or nook and cranny of her room. And her response to me, "no mom! I need that for something".
I am a minimalist, unless there is sentimental value, she sees crafting potential in every scrap.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Mummy has a whole room full of 'in case I need them's!!!

Yes we get those extra bits of ribbon on t sherts over heer too. Mummy tends to cut them off cos they go the wrong way wen the t shert is on an yu get to see bits of ribbon stikking owt of the wrong playse.

But then it meens there is ribbon all over the playse, in evry dror an on the taybol.... Dilly likes it but it issent for me. I don't reelly do ribbon. It's a gerly thing I think.