Tuesday, February 15, 2011

the day after Valentine's Day...


Somebody went to work on Sunday after being sick and off work for a few days..... so of course, I thought it was Monday all day while he was gone.  Then... Monday... all day I thought it was Tuesday... and today I haven't a clue what day it is. Oh, just a second....there goes the garbage truck..it must be Tuesday now!! Acckkk!

All I know is... Valentine's Day got all screwed up somehow....seeing as I didn't really know what day it was. My sister reminded me in an email the night before.  And in reality, Mr. BV and I don't do much for "special" days anyway... I always say every day around here is special.  But, sometimes, if I know in advance, and feel the desire to do something... well, I do.  And, this time I did sort of think about doing some cupcakes or a cake at least.... 'specially after watching Cupcake Wars on tv a few times ....cupcakes are calling meeeeee.......














Somehow (along with the women's shopping gene), I am missing the gene that causes big celebrations to happen on specific dates chosen for us by "somebody" ... ...the genes that get people so busy doing and planning special events.  I'm usually just happy with all my days because, well, because in my other life I had plenty of not so wonderful days...and I am truly thankful for this great life I now have.  Sometimes we do mark special little occasions...but, it isn't really a big thing with either of us.   Kind of like my Mom used to do.  For no reason..out of the blue...a little "just because" giftie would arrive in the mailbox...and it was such fun.  How I miss the silly little fun things we used to do when she was still alive.  Just for that...I'm going to send somebody something.... for the fun of it.

I stood in front of Bernard Callebaut Chocolaterie yesterday and wondered if perhaps somebody would stop in on his way home from work and buy some....and thought.... maybe I shouldn't ...just in case.  So..I didn't.   Darn it.  But...I did go next door and got this little cutie....

Catherine will have a good laugh.... we obviously have the same ideas on a few things....  but, my photo is certainly not anywhere near as amazing as hers of her orchids is.... along with her beautiful hands....



















I had planned on a nice supper once I knew what day it was though.. and had kicked myself in the butt to make me get going. I picked up some cheese for my version of Chicken Parmigiana stuffed with asparagus.  (and, no there are no photos...I forgot ... and all of a sudden...it was too late... eaten!)   but...it was delicious if I do say so myself...and I do.  Decided to do cupcakes too... and found a recipe with no egg if you can believe it.... how weird is that?  I couldn't figure out how they would be light and airy with no egg. But...... no cholesterol, so thought I would give them a try. Who needs more cholesterol when there would be cheese on the chicken?  Not much...but, there has to be some when it is called Parmigiana.... hahahhaha..

I did not get around to icing the cupcakes.  My treat for the day after Valentine's Day will be ... pink icing on chocolate cakes!  Maybe with some raspberry jelly in it...mmm.... we'll see how the day goes today....... first there is vacuuming...dusting...some laundry and oh, yeh...exercise.  I'm into it now with a will and a way and noticing good results.  Feeling stronger and fitter...woohooo... guess I'll have to add a few extra jumping jacks to offset the cupcakes I definitely intend to eat.... ... what am I saying?  I don't like jumping jacks....my knees don't like jumping jacks... maybe just extra time on the treadmill, some kicks, some shadow boxing and, oh, 40 or more crunches for a week should do it.... that sounds more fun. ..

... and where is my little toy piping kit I bought years ago?  I want to learn how to decorate cakes and muffins.... er...cupcakes... some day.  Gotta do it.  I'm really a muffin kind of gal myself.  More rustic... less fiddly... and perfect for snacks... not as many crumbs and no icing ... although, I have to say...these little cupcakes are very, very moist.  Not dry or crumby at all!  They are great just plain...of course, I tested.  Have to make sure they're edible.  It's the little lady's job after all... . keeping her family safe...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We in Britain have had good news this week - because of the improvement in the feed given to chickens, our eggs now contain a third of the cholestorol that the used to, and have been declared a healthy food!!

Unknown said...

I have to watch my cholestorol, only because I have diabetes. (it's normal at the moment) I've been told that I can and should eat eggs in moderation of course. Just last night I made myself an omelete for my dinner..yum!

Have you ever tried some apples sauce instead of eggs in your muffins or cakes?

Have a great day. Maa

Catherine said...

LOL ~ were you shopping at Safeway? Isn't that little flower and plant arrangement adorable? I like the pink pot it is in. Mine is white. Sounds like you have been having quite the busy last few days.

I bet your cupcakes were yummy!

We have had some beautiful weather the last few days. It got up to plus 6 today. Now it is supposed to snow for the next 2 days. Please send more warm weather if you are getting it! :)

xo Catherine

Shashi Nayagam said...

I want some I want some. Now I really wish I was staying near you. I would be there like a shot whenever I smelt baking.

sandy said...

I liked your post - fun to read and it's always good reading when someone is happy with their life - and you sound like you definitely are.

Dolores said...

Gee, I hate when that happens - when the days get all screwed up. We have Family Day on Monday and I'm sure the week will get all mixed up. No family around since most will be going to Ottawa.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Dear BumbleVee What day is it? I like this post. I am hungry again.Cupcakes mmmmmmmm.