Tuesday, January 26, 2010

First doll of the new year...

I finally began a new doll.  This one I signed up for months ago on the Cloth and Clay dolls site,  but, couldn't really make a start on her because of the wrist problems.  I'm trying to take it easy and trying my darndest not to have a death grip on her...... seems I do it with everything.... oh, well, I ain't waiting any longer.  Resting it, using anti-inflammatories, splints, etc..   hasn't accomplished much.  Time to move on regardless ....

So far she doesn't look like much.... and I am not having an easy time with the paperclay...but...it is fun just to be doing something again....

hopefully once I get the face more to my liking.... I'll feel a bit happier with her....

check out the web site if you'd like to see some of the other dolls... lots of amazing dollies there!

















like I said... not much to look at yet.... and those are supposed to be her upper eyelids....oh, groan...... we'll see what happens once I get some eyeballs..some cheeks, jawline, etc.... and if I don't like it...out comes the sandpaper and I try again.  I have to keep reminding myself...she is supposed to be a primitive doll...


















her limbs....yeh... strange, I know.  This is a totally different type of dolly for me.


11 comments:

Linda Fleming said...

Your much too hard on yourself! She's off to a great start. One thing I like about air dry clay is that you sand away bumps, lumps and uneven area, carve in details, and add more clay to any area. I have had air dry work in progress that I hated, but with some sanding and carving, and sticking with it, it ended up being something I loved when finished. It's the drying time and waiting that drives me nuts, so now I do several at a time so I have something to work on as each one dries. You can do this, Vee- I know it! ;)

rachel said...

Goodness, it's another world....

Please keep posting the process, won't you - it's fascinating!

Gretel said...

Hey, good to see you working again (I tried paperclay once but it dried horribly, little pits and wrinkles, nothing like your lovely finish). But do mind that wrist of yours!

Anonymous said...

That looks fascinating!! This is one of the things I love about reading blogs - you learn about things you never knew existed!!

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

I suppose most artists are alike, lol! You sound like me when I start something. Almost apologetic and filled with dread at what hideousness you might impart on the world. I can assure you though, it will be wonderful because all of your other stuff is.

Serena Lewis said...

Vee, I would LOVE to try sculpting but I know I'd be crap at it. Thankfully, I have amazing blog friends, like yourself and Linda, who sculpt such wonderful pieces so I can enjoy your work instead. I think you're off to a great start with this one. Be gentle with your hand and limit yourself to shorter sessions.

It's hard when you're used to one particular style and then try something more naive/primitive. I've done something similar when I had to paint beginner level paintings as samples for my students. It was extremely difficult to NOT add more realism and detail to them.

Petrinetrollmor said...

Good evening, Vee ! This is fascinating stuff. I looking forward to see the progress. Im not sure what paperclay is but Im looking with interest and I learn on the way :)

have a nice evening

Abi said...

Ooh! can't wait to see her finished! :O)
Hope the wrist holds out!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Vee,

I look forward to seeing your finished doll.
I really hope that you can get your hand sorted, do look after yourself.

Hugs
Carolyn

Lynda said...

Your doll looks great! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.

~ Lynda

Deirdra Doan said...

Thank you for your encouragement..I love the detail on your dolls and their clothing!
Come enter the giveaway I am having..

http://www.deirdradoan.blogspot.com