Friday, October 31, 2008

no framed mirror yet...














but, .... I did find this perfect choice for my new prints from Susan. Well, I think it is anyway. I hope you can see the hints of antique coppery/brass (perhaps it's actually bronze) on all the raised areas and edges and also on the inside of the frame making it like a narrow insert of a secondary mat. It picks up some of the unusual, beautiful colours of the ice chunk and also on the flowers of the other two. And,.. look at how lovely it looks next to my old (almost vintage) lamp! The thing is ancient... a purchase when I first had an apartment of my own and began buying some decent furniture.... waaaay back in the days of working in the plywood plant..... It used to be a bright brass finish, but over the years it has developed more of a coppery/bronze patina... I love it. Hard to believe how many moves this lamp has gone through and somehow survived intact. It is porcelain or clay of some sort .... so not exactly chip proof... but, so far so good. And, it won't be leaving this house... we have spent too much time and effort on our renovations to ever leave here.






































the perfect corner in the craft room for my "iceberg", where I can enjoy it whenever I'm playing with stuff in there. The lamp has been in very corner of every room of every apartment and house I have lived in; it's been used in bedrooms, living rooms and dining areas... stored in basements and/or storage units during short moves or college stints; even used for more light on painting projects ... that thing has really been around... ..... if only it could speak... then, again, maybe not@! yikes!. That set of storage drawers is what keeps my room pretty organized. What a great find that was at Ikea! And forget having a look inside the drawers... hahahhah...I didn't say they were tidy!
















::update: ...this is hilarious...I just noticed how things on the opposite side of the room also have some of the same tones.... unwittingly I am pulling it all together.... how do you like my little faux vintage lamp I found for $50 about 7 years ago? the glass is lovely and heavy; the leaves and base are metal.. very dark, not quite black, (same as the wood furniture)... with some coppery/brass streaking on it...

7 comments:

Susan said...

I'm blushing Vee - my Nova Scotia iceberg looks gorgeous !!

Can't wait to see pics of that darn spectacular laundry room. Miss D and I will be thinking of you & Mr Handiest of Men ce soir ... enjoy Sleepy Hollow, a perfect movie for tonight.

BumbleVee said...

hey Susan.... that's what I call it ... my beautiful Nova Scotia Iceberg! that's funny!

Susan said...

Well you know "our" icebergs are just a tad smaller than the real iceberg's you find ... say in Newfoundland.

and ...

big ol' darn sigh...

is that a laundry room or is that a laundry room ? Wow ! and no bending down - how nice. Congrats to Mr. H of M and of course to his loveliest of assistants.

Love the twin vintage lamp also by the way.

xo, S & les Gang

Linda Fleming said...

The print looks wonderful in that frame- they were meant to be together ;)

Unknown said...

That print looks fabulous in the frame! The vintage lamp is absolutely beautiful!

MightyMom said...

fabulous!!

Have you thought about buying a cheap mirror and a really nice frame and framing it yourself?

Alexandra MacVean said...

I see you found a treasure from Susan's shop as well. I recently received mine and am looking for the perfect frame as well! :)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)