Thursday, October 30, 2008

Before and now....














what was left once we got the old drywall and fluorescent tube lights off the ceiling... ... right back to joists... then we did some wiring for pot lights... and placed a suspended tile ceiling.














drywall off and back to cement walls and studs... re-working the plumbing and also some ducting for the dryer..











ready to go to work... here is the dream plan.... tweaked so I have everything exactly where I want it.











first order of business... build SOLID boxes for the machines to stand on to get the doors to the right height ...and also to withstand the spin cycle of (if you can believe it) 6,000 rpms. To buy pedestal bases at the appliance store... $599 each for the particular size of these appliances. Aackkkkk!! What?? They are referred to as European size..whatever that is.. and are twice as much as the $299 pedestals for American made washers and dryers for some strange reason. Probably because they don't supply as many.... forget it......we are not paying that!! we built one a lot cheaper. These things weighed a ton and are solid frames with built in drawer housings ...











new venting for the dryer along the top; machines in position... glad I didn't have to lift them! Thank you Mr. Darcy....











first cupboards installed.











New ceiling...lighting...doors all built, sanded and painted. The colour is a soft sage-y green, the walls are a different green ... called Carriage House Green... ... but greens seem difficult to capture on any photo... the light one seems to look barely off white and the wall looks more taupe in pics..but not in real life... now.... waiting for the counter top and then we can measure up for the last two doors to hide the plumbing and electrical outlets.. oooh..it'll be so tidy then...











I was originally thinking on a medium dark framed mirror over the sink on the opposite side of the room...but...a designer friend suggested perhaps I might want to try a silver framed mirror to continue with the brushed nickel knobs and won't compete with the counter top... Yeh...that could work..... so far I've only seen two.... still have a few places to look.... but, I am slow at getting my day organized sometimes and who wants to be out and about in the hub bub every day anyway...I love my home..... and the peaceful aura of it.














I'm going to get an interesting little rug too.... lovely greens with a few interesting colours tossed in for good measure. That's also on my list while I'm out there "hunting".

5 comments:

Linda Fleming said...

Oh Vee! What a wonderful laundry room! Wow- and I know how much work went into that. I think that is the nicest laundry room I have ever seen- fantastic work. I want to come to your house to do my laundry, and sit in your kitchen chatting with you as we eat a slice of your delishious bread ;)
PS-
Tell your hubby he did good- real good!

Shopaholic D said...

wow, im jealous! that's the nicest laundry room i've ever seen!

:) Diana
The Chic Life

MightyMom said...

it's coming together!!

I really love the idea of elevating the washer and dryer! I hate bending over to dig stuff out of the dryer!

Vee said...

Enjoy the hunt! I really like brushed nickel...that's what John selected for his lighting fixtures yesterday.

Oh, and the laundry room is perfection! Just love how you did it mostly all yourselves. You and your dh are brilliant!

Louise said...

I think I could actually enjoy doing the laundry if I had this utility. You must be really pleased with how it has turned out. x